Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Wizard of What?

I'm often surprised by which elements of Western pop culture are recognized - or not recognized - by people here in Shanghai.

Since the late 1980's, China has had an open door policy, inviting foreign investors to help develop its market economy, & along with the investors came pop culture. People here eat at KFC, wear (fake) Gucci, & love Lady Gaga. They even watch reruns of Friends, for gosh sakes.

So I was surprised to hear that most of my students have never heard of The Wizard of Oz. Amazing! I've seen that movie, like, a hundred times. It's an integral part of American culture, like Mom & apple pie, yet no one here has heard of it.

They have, however, heard the song Over the Rainbow, but not Judy Garland's version. They know the version sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole because it's used in so many TV commercials these days.

No comments: