Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Urban Planning

Last week I went to the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Center to check out their scale model of the future of Shanghai. 30 RMB (about US $4.25) got me inside.

Apparently, this Shanghai-in-miniature is what the city will look like once all the construction is finished. Judging from the model, it looks like an extra skyscrapper is in the works for the Pudong side of the Huangpu River, next to the iconic Oriental Pearl Tower. My apartment isn't included here. I guess it's too far from the city center.

The museum also houses before-&-after photos of Shanghai ("before" being the 1980s). It was amazing to see how drastically the city has changed in the last 30 years. Just to give you an idea of the startling transformation this city has undergone, here's a photo of the Bund in 1990:

& what it looks like now:

Craziness.

No comments: