Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What's That You Say, Sonny?

I missed my date with the mountain today because I had a doctor's appointment. I've been having problems hearing lately & wanted to get it checked out. I was thinking it was just a huge ball of wax that they could remove with a flick of their magic wand.

I went to the Southwest Naturopathic Medical Center on McDowell & Hayden in Scottsdale. It's a school as well as a clinic, so your appointment is with a student under the supervision of a real-live doctor. You know, like at the massage school or the cosmetology school. It's cheaper this way, & since I don't have insurance, I took the discount route.

Not only did I get one student to observe & poke & prod, I got THREE! They must be short on patients. Anyway, they spent an hour asking all kinds of questions, including ones that had nothing to do with my hearing, like whether I suffered any rectal bleeding. I guess those naturopaths really like to treat the whole person, not just the symptom.

After a two-hour interview, & a peek through the ear-o-scope, I was diagnosed with an ear infection, which has swollen up my ear canal so that I can't hear properly. No one said anything about any wax. They have me on anti-bacterial pills, ear drops, & some anti-mucus stuff. I'm supposed to go back in a week to see if any of that helps.

2 comments:

joe said...

Yeah, my hearing loss started right after my rectal bleeding, too.

joe said...

ps... Hey Nancy, how come you never come over to my blog and say hello? I mean, I know I don't ever mention anything as interesting as ear infections, but I put some decent stuff!