Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Book Worm


I've been trying really hard to pare down my belongings so that I can go off into the wild blue yonder with only a vehicle & possibly a camper. With very little cargo room, I won't be able to carry along all of those useless items that seem to have wormed their way into my closet space. So far, it hasn't been very difficult to find things to put in the "yard sale" pile.

But books do not fall into the "useless" category for me, so I'm still holding onto a good many of them. I'll probably go through several books before I hit the road in my itty-bitty living space, so it's okay, right? Raaaight.

Even so, I went through my bookshelves & came up with two full boxes to take over to Bookmans, the second-hand book shop in Mesa. I left my books with the buyer & headed to the stacks to look for new books to read.

I already had $64 in trade credit from the last time that I schlepped a ton of books over there, but I wasn't too hopeful for this current load of books since it was only two boxes worth. I spent a couple of hours among the shelves, looking for specific titles, as well as just perusing what was there. I wound up with just a little bit over $60 in books to take home with me.

When I returned to the buying counter, I noticed that they had taken less than half of the books that I had brought in, so I figured I had done well with the $60 stack that I was planning on taking home. However, the man behind the counter said with a very straight face, " We can give you $69 in trade for these."

Holy moley! $69?! That gives me a total of $133 in trade to spend! Well, then I'm taking that $12 book that I passed up for being too expensive. Yay!

Here is a list of my booty:

Herbivore, Travel Issue
Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer
The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan
Seven Years in Tibet, Heinrich Harrer
Lost on Planet China, J. Maarten Troost
A Man Without a Country, Kurt Vonnegut
Welcome to the Monkey House, Kurt Vonnegut
Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin
A Wolf at the Table, Augusten Burroughs
The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Bill Bryson
El Cristo Rojo, Alain Ammar (about Che Guevarra)

3 comments:

joe said...

So, in order to lighten your load and prepare for your road trip, you got rid of x amount of books, and replaced them with 2x amount? Did I get that right?

Nancy Lewis said...

He he. Um, yeah.

Unknown said...

Nancy
I absolutely love Three Cups of Tea. I have been reading it and I am almost finished. I think anyone in a "teaching field" should read this book. It was very inspiring to see what Greg Mortenson has done.