Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Start Here

I've finally decided to make my dream a reality: I'm selling all my stuff & going off on an adventure. I've been wanting to do this for a long time - maybe five years or more. Something always kept me from doing it, though. But I finally have no obstacles, no dreams that seem more important. Nothing is more of a priority right now than to live as I want to live, not as I imagine I SHOULD live.

What is that exactly? I'm not quite sure. I just know that "getting ahead" has really held me back. I own a house & a small business, both of which I love. What I don't enjoy is constantly having to make it better. Not that I'm against improvement. I believe in self-improvement most of all, which is why I find myself here & now. I finally have the opportunity to improve me.

Within a year from now, I'd like to make a departure from what has been my norm. First thing's first. Undo what I've done. Sell the house & everything in it. Simplify. Not disassociate, but associate from another angle. Who says "homeless" means "hopeless"?

I've started getting rid of my stuff, the stuff that I have been carrying around with me my whole adult life - & a bit from before that, even. Shedding off the proverbial old skin, clearing out unnecessary cobwebs, dumping my stuff into other people's lives. It feels great!

The journey toward my goal is pretty exciting. It might turn out to be more thrilling than the adventure itself, but that's the beauty of it all. If I don't like it, I can do something else.

5 comments:

Gantry York said...

I can empathize with you.

Everyday that I wake up and every night that I go to sleep I think about retirement. I aspire to a life of financial independence so I can check out of the rat race.

My goal now is to retire to latin america and live a simple life. It will be a life where I have time for interpersonal relationships, time to take care of my health and fitness, and time to enjoy my passions for passion's sake, not for financial gain.

Congratulations.

Gantry York said...

PEACE OF MIND
by BOSTON

Now if you're feelin kinda low bout the dues youve been paying
Futures coming much too slow
And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin
Cant decide on which way to go
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I understand about indecision
But I dont care if I get behind
People livin in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

...

Sunny said...

After the conversation we had not long ago, I'm glad to see that you have decided to turn yet another dream into reality. Good for you! You know I love life on the road, you will too. The freedom of "living" on the road is amazing! I wish I had done this YEARS ago!! But the point is, I'm doing it now, and loving every minute of it. There's a HUGE difference between living a life and living life. I am leaving Phoenix in 3 days, and yes it's sad to say goodbye to the new friends I have made, but I am just as excited about the new roadmap that lays ahead of me & Gomez. We are off to a new adventure as well. Best of luck to you in all that you do. I know our paths will cross again and I hope we will always keep in touch! Hasta luego mi amiga!

julesofthenyle said...

i'm totally amazed that you found my blog... simplifying and making an adventure out of my life has consumed me for about a year now. it's late here in new york, but i've read a couple of months worth of your blogs and can't wait to continue reading. thanks for finding me! you're an inspiration!

Nancy Lewis said...

Hello Jules! I am also intrigued by your own blog. Perhaps we can help each other along the path to something better :)