Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bedlam


Wait. Did you catch that? I'm selling my bed?! Have I gone insane? I'm not leaving for another year. Where will I sleep?

I've had my bed since 1993, when I had a boyfriend & two large dogs that slept with me. We needed lots of room. We decided on the biggest, most comfortable bed we could find: a California king pillow top. Even after 15 years, boyfriend & dogs now gone, it's the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on.

But now I'm selling it. I'm getting rid of the bed for several reasons, but the main reason is that it's a symbolic move for me. This clearing out & letting go thing has been a fantasy of mine for so long that it hardly seems real anymore. Even though I've spent the last month or so putting price tags on my life so far, in a way, it's still not really happening.

Selling the bed will make it more real for me. Without that integral piece of furniture, the rest will be inevitable. With the bed gone, I can use the (really big) empty space in the bedroom to stack up what I want to keep, those things that I can't seem to let go of, no matter how much I want to.

So where will I sleep? On the floor or on the couch. I'm keeping the couch for now. I can sleep just about anywhere, so I don't anticipate that it will affect my ability to snooze. I concede that I could be wrong, but there is only one way to find out.

No comments: