Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Scrabble Mania

I spent the afternoon today playing Scrabble with the North Phoenix Scrabble Meetup group. I know, I'm a wild one.

I haven't really played much of the game - a friendly game on a road trip, or with family over the holidays. But most of my experience comes from playing Scrabble in Spanish with my students. We play by The Spanish Place rules, which just means that we can cheat a lot. I do enjoy the game, though, & was looking for new ways to spend my free time, so I decided to check this group out.

There were about ten people at the meeting today, mostly women. Some were pretty competitive. One woman I played with chided me when I asked her what her word meant, saying that I was responsible for knowing my vocabulary. The same woman was disappointed that I did not break 300 points on that game. Luckily, the next person I was paired with was much more relaxed.

I'm not sure how frequently I will join this particular Scrabble Meetup. As their name implies, they meet mostly in North Phoenix. However, there is a Tempe Scrabble Meetup that I might check out next week.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

OMG I love scrabble! But I've always been afraid to try one of the meetups for fear they would be too serious, because my Mom and I don't play by the rules either! Hmmmm, North Phoenix is by me :)