Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chung King Christmas

Twice a week, I teach a Music Club at an English school here in Shanghai. We listen to various songs in English & the students talk about the meaning of the lyrics, as well as which songs they like or don't like & why.

Before each class, I download a few songs from the internet. Music in China is easily accessible online & it's free to download any song you want at the click of a button, one of the few things you can do on the Chinese internet that you can't do at home.

We've been talking about Christmas traditions all week in other classes, so I decided to do a lesson on Christmas songs for Music Club this week. While I was searching for the classics - Jingle Bells, Silent Night, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - I came across this very cool Christmas album, Chung King Christmas, released way back in 1992.

The Oriental Echo Ensemble plays twelve traditional Christmas songs on traditional Chinese musical instruments. They're all wonderful arrangements & perfectly appropriate for someone spending the holidays in China (like me).

Take a listen here:
Joy to the World

No comments: