Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Vietnamese Tutor

When I started teaching the English class at the bank a few months ago, I expressed interest in learning Vietnamese. One of the students introduced me to Phuong, & we have been meeting every Saturday since.

She picks me up at 2:00 & takes me to her house, which is surrounded by plants & flowers. Her familly is warm & generous, & they have a very sweet dog. It's a great place to spend the afternoon.

Phuong speaks very good English & has traveled outside Vietnam several times. We spend the afternoon studying Vietnamese, as well as chatting in English about movies, travel, books, & living healthy. Her mother always makes me something delicious: fresh fruit juice, homemade soy milk, whole grain rice & tofu with vegetables. & they always send me home with a bag full of yummy goodies.

I'm so lucky to have met her. Our Saturday meetings are one of the highlights of my week.

Phuong's house

Phuong is shy, so this is the only photo I have of her so far. She's trying to get out of the way so I can take a photo of her courtyard.

The dog is much more accomdating of photographs :)

2 comments:

Sunny said...

So that's what a Vietnamese Dobie looks like :)

Beautiful house! Is the whole thing one house?

Nancy Lewis said...

Yes, the whole thing is one house, which is quite unusual here in Vietnam. Even by Western standards, it's huge. But here in Vietnam, it's a mansion!