Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Friday, July 10, 2009

Naming Yourself

Since the Vietnamese language is so difficult for Westerners to pronounce, students sometimes take on Western names to make it easier for their teachers to address them. Many of them directly translate their Vietnamese names into English, so I have students named Trust, River, Six, & Glory. Other students name themselves after famous people, giving us lots of Harrys (as in Potter), & a few Hannahs (as in Montana). But some of the names are just wacky. One guy named himself Superman, there's a girl named Cinderella, & one girl insists on calling herself Benjamin. Those Vietnamese sure are funny.

4 comments:

michelle said...

I like that! Especially because I'm named after the American name my mom took for herself, in lieu of her German name, Walburga. I squeaked by on that one! Just imagine if they start naming their kids after their American names. =)

Gantry York said...

If they like silly American names, I have a few suggestions:

Mclovin
Beavis
Billy Bob
Dweezle
Jethro

Zinc said...

My face is really kool ^^!

Unknown said...

Actually, I've met... a Clark (as in Kent), an Ares, a male Vicky... and a Beavis. ^^;