Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Friday, May 8, 2009

Kindle

What a great idea! But at $360 it's a little cost-prohibitive.

I would love to have something like this for my trip to Vietnam. I won't be able to take many books with me, & I'm not sure how easy it will be to get books in English while I'm there. Plus, it fits right into my 100 Thing Challenge because I would be able to carry thousands of books on one device. They've improved on the first version by making the image more like reading an actual page; it's not back-lit like a computer screen but "inked" like a real book. Plus you can type notes right into the file - & I love to mark up my books.

But the Kindle has so much more potential. I prefer to wait for the features that I'm sure must be coming: a color screen for books with color images; touch-screen capability to be able to scroll & "turn" the pages with your finger tip; being able to write on the screen with a stylus so that you can scribble notes on the page or do the NY Times crossword puzzle right on the device. & most importantly, I'm waiting for the price to fall under $100.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I did a google search on "Kindle Alternatives" and found the following article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2331774,00.asp

It still sounds like the Kindle is probably the best option, but the competition should lead to more features and a lower price. The latest Sony product has a touch (swipe) page turning feature. The published price is $50 more than the Kindle, but it seems like most places actually sell it for the same price.

Unknown said...

I guess I don't know how to copy and paste a URL into this comment box, but I'm sure you could do your own search if you really wanted to :)

Matt in AZ said...

I'd like one too, if I had the money to spare. It will probably be a while until you see a practical color one, the B&W Kindle's and Sony's screens are a unique technology, and I get the impression color would require something completely different.

If you ever go the ebook route for any reader however, definitely check out Project Gutenberg with over 100,000 public domain titles:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Plus, Google Books is going to make half a million available for Sonys and Kindles:
http://gizmodo.com/5174880/google-brings-500000-public-domain-ebooks-to-sony-readers

Nancy Lewis said...

Thanks Matt!

Ken Hopes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken Hopes said...

Below is the link from the Michael's first comment.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2331774,00.aspI wanted to find out how to put links in comment boxes myself, so I did a little searching. This web page explains how to do it: