Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Food Inspection

I always liked the fact that some cities in the US require restaurants to display the grade they received on their most recent health inspection in the front window for all to see. Although this law doesn't exist in Arizona, I've seen the "A" report proudly displayed in windows all over Los Angeles. Those restaurants that receive a B or even a C in LA are often "ethnic" restaurants, including those in Chinatown, probably because of the duck carcasses hanging in the window or the meat being chopped on the same cutting board as the bok choy.

Here in Shanghai, I doubt that many of the traditional eating establishments would pass the rigors of the LA health department. Even so, I've noticed a few places around town that show off their food safety success with a big green smile in the window.

No comments: