Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Teaching English in Mexico

I've been in Mexico now for a week, mostly on vacation, but I've popped my head into several English schools along the way to see what my chances are of getting a job teaching English down here.

Looks like they don't even want to talk about giving me a job until I have already moved down here. But I'm not thrilled about moving down here if I don't have a job. Hm. I have an appointment with the director of a school here in Oaxaca City on Tuesday morning. Hopefully I can get a better idea of what steps I would need to take to teach here (work visa, etc).

As for the city itself, Oaxaca doesn't seem any different than any other Mexican (or for that matter, Costa Rican) city that I've been to - I mean other than Mexico City, of course, where I wouldn't want to live anyway. It has a central plaza with a huge Catholic church, & lots of side streets with cars speeding down them, lots of music blaring everywhere, lots of smells (good & bad mixed together), lots of people walking around at all hours. I'm not sure it's any better or worse than any other city to live in. Cuernavaca is closer to Mexico City, where I know people, it's a little smaller, still has the ex-pat community, lots of English schools.

But then there's still Vietnam to think about.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Vietnam??? Can't you just tell them you live there already or are homeless! ha ha... Good luck!