Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Progress


I spent last weekend in Los Angeles at my brother's house.

A year & a half ago, when I first set off for the Great Beyond, I left several boxes containing photos & memories with my brother - the last layers of the onion of possessions that I was unable to peel. These boxes contained my history, proof that my memories were real, & I wasn't ready to give that up yet.

Now, back at my brother's house a year & a half later, I've had time to detach a little from those boxes that I left here filled with all the stuff that was so important to me. I spent a whole day in the garage going through everything, picking out the most important pieces for scanning, & reluctantly throwing out the rest.

It was hard to let go of it all, to know that I'll never be able to read any more of my silly tales from junior high or browse through the drawings & poems from my high school days. But in the end, I think the purging was good. It gets me that much closer to where I want to be mentally - free from attachments to material goods & thus less limited as I wander.

After a whole day of discarding, I was left with just one box of stuff - the core of the onion. I'd call that progress.

No comments: