Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Monday, February 27, 2012

It's not as easy as they say

... but do it anyway.

Before I left on my journey around the globe, I read several books & blogs by what they call "lengthy travelers" & "slow travlers". They told their stories of how they became globe trotters, & were full of good advice on how I could do the same.

The general concensus was that we unwittingly trap ourselves in our conventional lives by saying, "I wish I could go off traveling, but..." It's the "but" that keeps us stuck in a job we don't like, trudging along day after day, waiting for the right time to go a-wandering. When I have enough money, when I have enough time, when I pay off my debts, I'll go. Most of these authors who were my inspiration said that all of those excuses are just that: excuses.

They said, don't wait until you have enough money because you'll never have what you think is enough. Don't wait until you have enough time because time waits for no wo/man. One of the most powerful things that I read was the last line of the book A Journey of One's Own by Thalia Zepatos: If I could say one final word, it would be 'Go.'

But it wasn't as easy as those traveling authors made it sound. Not in the least. In fact, I went kicking & screaming. Letting go of my old life was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Not only did I get rid of all my precious junk, but even things that had sentimental value got sold in a yard sale or were carted off to the thrift store. I took photos of some things in an attempt to hang on to the sentiments while still getting rid of the physical thing. I spent countless hours scanning old photos & journals so that I could still "have" them after I got rid of them. & before I left, I hugged everyone one of my friends as tears rolled down my face, knowing that I was giving up something precious so that I could do something amazing.

Life is about sacrifice, & this is no different. In order to live the fascinating life of a vagabond, it's necessary to sacrifice the comfort of staying home. But the rewards are beyond measure, & the experiences are irreplaceable. In the last three years, I've learned quite a lot about the world & how I fit into it - & I feel so lucky to be able to experience it all. So if I could say one final word, it would be 'Go.'



No comments: