Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Local Tastes

It's interesting how companies change their products to appeal to different groups of people. Here in Shanghai, KFC includes stirfry with rice on their menu, McDonald's offers red bean sundaes, & Starbucks has green tea cake. All of these are understandable considering we're in China, & those are the kinds of things that Chinese people like to eat.

But I often see what I think are crazy flavors for food items: tomato flavored jelly beans, coffee flavored gum, & donuts with pork floss & seaweed.

The other day I was at the grocery store looking for a snack when I noticed some interesting potato chip flavors from Lays: blueberry, cucumber, & tea. They were only 3 RMB (about US 45 cents) each, so I figured what the hey.

The cucumber & tea ones weren't that bad. I probably won't have them again, but they weren't bad. However, one blueberry potato chip was enough for me. Now *that* was a bad idea.

What about you? Have you seen any wacky food flavors on your travels or back at home?

No comments: