Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Friday, August 7, 2009

Books!

Since I had the day off, I went into Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) again today. In the morning I went to the botanical gardens/zoo, & I spent the afternoon in an English-language bookstore. I was like a kid in a candy store! My entire purchase cost me around $16, but at 300,000 Dong, it seemed really expensive.

I got four books:

A biography of Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam's beloved president
A book of Vietnamese legends - in Spanish!
A novel: Across the Nightengale Floor by Lian Hearn
Another novel: Mary Called Magdalene by Margaret George

The first two books were published by a Vietnamese company, & the last two books came from the UK.

The available books that had been published in the US were much more expensive, so I decided against buying them, leaving them at the bookstore.

The last book is 875 pages long, so it should last me a while!

2 comments:

scott said...

Hey Nancy,
Cool spanish book! Nice find.

I don't get the part of you leaving them at the bookstore. How do you 'leave them at the bookstore' and have them 'last you a long time'??

:)

We haven't talked in a while, keep missing. I've been a smidge busy, but i'll catch up with you soon!

Nancy Lewis said...

I bought books published in the UK because they were cheaper. The ones that I left at the bookstore were the more expensive ones imported from the US.