Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Monday, June 8, 2009

The Biggest Small Town in Vietnam

Except for teaching three hours of classes tonight, I spent the whole day today in my hotel room. There's really nothing else for me to do right now. There are hundreds of thousands of people living in Bien Hoa, but it is certainly not a lively town.

So far, I've discovered a street market & a coffee shop but not much else for entertainment. Everything seems to shut down around 9:00pm. Harley, the teacher from South Africa, says that there are restaurants & night clubs that stay open late around here, but I have yet to see them. I haven't even been able to find any postcards yet (in case you were wondering when yours would come).

I'm planning to move into a new house (brand new, just built) with three of the instructors from the school where I teach English. They say we'll be able to move in next week, but we'll have to wait & see if that's real time or Vietnamese time.

I'm looking forward to the move. Not only will it be safer for me than living in this hotel (note the prison-like bars on my hotel room window), but hopefully it will also liven up my social life. I mean, I value my alone time, but I'm getting a little too much of it right now. Thank goodness for my new friend Michael, who's been taking me to the supermarket, to the park, & to lunch.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, I'll stop fuming about not getting a post card :)

Michelle said...

I had no idea you were in Vietnam. You are a phenom!! I love you too and will keep up with you via your blog. What an adventure. Even through the iron bars (which are a bit scary!) it looks beautiful. The lighting is cool. Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,
It's nice to be able to read of your adventures in a new country! Take care!
Regina

Nancy Lewis said...

Hola Regina,
Nice to hear from you!