Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Research: New Zealand

Since I will be moving to New Zealand in January, I've been doing a bit of research - looking online for novels, short stories & movies set in New Zealand or written by New Zealanders.

In the movie category, I've found Whale Rider, The Piano and Rain, all of which I have already downloaded.

Books have been a little tougher to find. I found a short story by Shayne Parkinson called All I Want, which I really enjoyed, but that seems to be all I can find. I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right places.

Maybe you can help me. Can you recommend any good movies or books about New Zealand that aren't tourist-focused?

2 comments:

Shayne Parkinson said...

Nancy, thanks for mentioning my short story! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

A movie to add to your list: "Boy" by Taika Waititi. Set in the Bay of Plenty, which is where I come from (and where my books are set). Very funny in places; very moving in others.

A useful one-volume history of New Zealand: "The Penguin History of New Zealand" by Michael King.

Older works, and possibly hard-to-find: Dan Davin's short story collections, and "The Story of a New Zealand River" by Jane Mander.

If you don't mind books for younger readers, you might enjoy Joy Cowley's lovely "Bow Down Shadrach" (and its sequels), about a family in the South Island's Marlborough Sounds.

Nancy Lewis said...

Thank you Shayne for the list of recommendations! I'll definitely add them to my list :)