Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day Trip: Suzhou

With the weather turning warmer, I finally decided to take a trip outside of the city. Suzhou is only about 30 minutes away by train, so I thought I'd start there.

They call it the Venice of the East because of its network of canals.

The most obvious tourist attraction here is the seven-story North Temple Pagoda, but most people come to see the ancient gardens. There are several gardens that are said to be hundreds of years old spread out around town, all of which charge a 40-80 RMB entrance fee.

Since I only had a few hours here, I decided to forego the tourist sites & just wander the streets & back alleys. 

I found a heated game of Chinese chess...

...a peek into the back room of a quilter's home...

...& the most typical site in China: Renovation.

No comments: